2008 East Cork Hurling Final

Thursday, September 25th, 2008 – The East Cork Journal
Lisgoold Crowned Junior B Hurling Champions
Lisgoold 1-18 St. Catherine’s 2-9

Lisgoold continued their winning run on last Saturday afternoon when they added the Multi Roofing Sponsored East Cork Junior B hurling title to the county title already won earlier in the season. At sun drenched Rostellan they overcame a gallant St Catherine's outfit to claim this latest prize and keep their winning run intact. They still have the Munster campaign to look forward to later in the season.

The game got off to a flying start with St Catherine's raising a green flag in their very first attack, with a sideline ball landing close to goal where Michael Hegarty was quickest to react to finish to the net and get the Saints off to the best possible start. Declan Noonan then added a point from play, and it was certainly game on as Lisgoold were forced to play catch up. It was early days, however, and there was no panic as good points from the impressive Jonathon O'Shea and Robert Smart got Lisgoold off the mark, and we were treated to some excellent hurling on the well prepared Aghada pitch. At the end of the first quarter, that early goal still separated the sides, with St Catherine's ahead by 1-3 to 0-3.

Gradually, however, Lisgoold began to find their rhythm with Maurice O'Connell again in splendid form from placed balls. By the 22nd minute the sides were level for the only time in the match. Lisgoold stole ahead with O'Connell again obliging. John Cronin went off injured to be replaced by Gerry O'Connell, who wasted no time in making his mark with a good point from play. At half time Lisgoold had shot ten points while St. Catherine's, with Noel O'Brien, Padraig Cotter, Steven O'Brien and Michael Hegarty all on target, trailed by just two points as they had shot 1-5. The tremendous heat was having an affect on both sides and the water bottles were coming on with increasing regularity.

In the second half Lisgoold got the break: of the ball when a shot from a 65 fell short. There to capitalise was Jonathon O'Shea who slammed the ball to the net in the 5th minute, and while Michael Hegarty pointed a free for St Catherine's it was Lisgoold who began to extend their lead thanks, in the main, to the long range shooting of Maurice O'Connell and the accuracy from close in of Robert Smart who, between them, shot five points to extend the lead to nine points by the end of the third quarter. St Catherine's were battling very hard to get back into the match with John Mulcahy, Padraig Cotter and Alan Keane having splendid games at the back. Former greats, Cathal Casey and Michael Hegarty, continued to work hard in attack along with Steven and Noel O'Brien.

Scores were difficult to get for St Catherine's thanks, in the main, to solid defending from Charles Smart, Conor Walsh and the superb Barry Ahern as Lisgoold looked content to hold out for victory. St Catherine's used their bench in an effort to close the gap, and a late goal from Michael Hegarty and points from Kevin Dinneen and Hegarty closed the gap somewhat. Lisgoold had done enough in the third quarter to put themselves into a winning position and with Paul Stack, Robert Smart and Maurice O'Connell landing points in the last five minutes, they ran out winners by six points having been pushed all the way by a St Catherine's side who lost nothing in defeat. The game was well refereed by Barry Day from the local Aghada club. After the game the Eamon Fleming Cup was presented to Lisgoold captain, Maurice O'Connell by East Cork Board Chairman, Michael O'Brien.

Lisgoold: M O'Connell 0-10, J O'Shea 1-2, R Smart 0-4, P Stack and G O'Connell 0-1 each.

St Catherine's: M Hegarty 2-4, S O'Brien, P Cotter and N O'Brien 0-1 each.

Lisgoold: C Cronin, K O'Shea, B Stack, M O'Shea, B Ahem, C Smart, C Walsh, N Connery, F Brosnan, J Cronin, J O'Shea, W Kingston, L Foley, M O'Connell and R Smart. Subs used G O'Connell, P Stack and D O'Brien.

St Catherine's: B Ahern, C Hegarty, L O'Connor, P Twomey, A Keane, P Cotter, J Lane, J Mulcahy, D Noonan, N O'Brien, L O'Connor, C Casey, B Mulcahy, M Hegarty and S O'Brien. Subs used J Casey, K Mangan, P O'Connor, K Dinneen and A Carr.

Referee: Barry Day, Aghada.